"Corruption and Political Culture in America: An Empirical Perspective" by Michael Johnston
After starting my research and finding this article, I found that not many aspects of corruption have changed in the past decades. Yes, I cannot use these statistics as current fact, but some terminology and evidence proven can help me find more recent research to support or disprove Johnston's claim.
What Johnston writes about political culture being the harbor ground to corruption is very well stated. The two most common forms analyzing political participation are studying voter turnout and political competitiveness. More often than not, more people vote when they (the voter) feels that their position must be defended in some way. By voting, they are participating in a united front to further their participation in government. Political competitiveness a term identifying when a particular group is strongly fighting for their voice and message to be heard and dominated in government. Such an example we are witnessing in present day. The competitive nature between Senators McCain and Obama are very strong and almost vicious. With the election approaching within the month, the political mudslinging will be enhancing the competitiveness of this election and each candidate.
I must take into account when this article was published and when the statistics were found and conducted. Johnston references to statistics founded in the seventies (Term dominated by President Jimmy Carter) and end just after Reagan's honeymoon period (meaning the 12 to 18 months of congressional and media lee way and overwhelming support). Many of these altering/ unmoving (determining on which data you analyze) statistics are in reference to such decisions made by government at that time.
Overall, the article probably won't benefit me much other than referencing other points of media failure and corruption, but it did make me think if Johnston's points could be validated and supported today.

1 comment:
Good Stuff Rachel. I like the topic first of all; I guess it can tie with mine in terms of the media "Americaninzing" the youth of today. Yeah, I expected to find sources and articles that weren't helpful too. But, we all know the power of corruption and properganda in the world of politics in our government as well as the world we see everyday.
And it totally wasn't a save.. just honesty. ahah
Post a Comment