Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Narrowing It Down....

SERIOUSLY!!

I feel like a took on a topic that would issue novels upon articles upon journals to answer my question.  I am glad I chose it, but I swear narrowing it down is a total drag.  

It is important for my paper to distinguish between media bias and media corruption.  Media bias is the slanted or tainted perception that the media displays upon its facts and knowledge in order to emphasize their position and properly support their bosses.  Media corruption ties with the ending of the media bias definition to where the agendas and desires of those in power have become so dominant that the news has become unreliable with false statements and opinions to be served as fact.  

That is a definition that I found might help my quest in researching my paper.  I am very passionate about what knowledge is absorbed by myself, my peers and those around me.  When what we hear determines what we believe, how we dress, what we think, it is the responsibility of those who distribute the news to publish what is actual instead of what they want to be actual.

I have personally been peeved with our recent media positions.  As the election appears to be less than a month away, everyone (even Lindsay Lohan) wants to express their area of support.  Personally, I don't want to know who Lindsay Lohan, Drew Barrymore, P. Diddy Combs or any other media elite support in this election.  That is a private matter and it is in acts of vanity that they believe that I, or the rest of America, really care about what they believe or how they vote.  

Unfortunately, as passionate as I am about this subject, I am also a realist.  I know people do get swayed by the media elite simply because they serve as our "idols" in our society. 

With that, I am going off topic.  I am hungry, tired and think I need to stop.  This week I will develop my research question. For now, this is just some paths that I can take with my topic.  Wish me luck! 

2 comments:

*Melina* said...

It's so true that people will vote for a certain candidate just because a celebrity they admire is voting for them! Celebrities know this happens so they use this to their advantage to gather votes for their preferred candidate. People will know who so and so is voting for, but they will not have done their candidate research themselves!

Jennifer said...

Rachel,
After listening to you in class and reading your post about this topic, I can't wait to read your end product. I've really never thought about media corruption? Or that what I'm reading is a biased story. Your completely right. Voting should be a private matter and now its seems like people broadcast their vote. When did we stop keeping our vote private? Why do celebrities feel the need to voice their opinion. I'm pretty sure the average American should figure out who to vote for without influences (actors, actresses,etc.) GOODNESS RACHEL! YOU GO GIRL! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS WITH YOUR TOPIC